Starting with the 2009-2010 school year, the sports committees have chosen a #1 team in their sport for that year in both boys and girls sports. The award is given to the school at their All-State Sports banquet. It is the hope of the CHSCA executive board that the sports committees do not look at newspaper polls to select the #1 team. As each sports year has gone forward, more sports have honored a #1 team. The criteria are as follows:
1. A #1 Girls and a #1 Boys sports team will be chosen at the end of the school year.
2. A detailed form will be given to each head coach to fill out at the end of the season.
3. All applications must be signed by the Head Coach and Athletic Director or Principal of the school.
4. Only CHSCA #1 teams of that sport can participate. Although a newspaper ranked #1 team could be the same only the previously mentioned selected teams can take part in this process.
5. A non-coaching committee chaired by a CHSCA representative will meet and evaluate all the criteria on each #1 team. This meeting will take place sometime following the spring season and before the start of the next school year.
6. The award-winning schools will be honored at our Hall of Fame banquet held in November of the following school year. The winning schools will be given a large #1 trophy signifying their honor as “The #1 Team” for boys and girls sports from the preceding year.
7. A plaque with the school’s name and year honored will be placed in our room of honor at our Hall of Fame at Rentschler Field.
8. Award pictures will be posted on our website for the next year.