The CIAC Committee met September 13, 2016.
Discussion on medals presentation – it was agreed that the medal ceremony should be significant to the student-athletes earning those distinctions. Bob Lehr will contact the meet directors to remind them of the importance of the medals awarding ceremony.
There was considerable discussion about the state of swimming facilities in Connecticut. Although Wesleyan University has increased its rental rate, it was decided to stay with Wesleyan for the 2017 championships. The venues will be evaluated after the events conclude.
It was agreed that an award should be presented to Bruce Jaffe in recognition of his many years devoted to boys swimming and to the boys’ swim committee.
The state meet packet was reviewed and many of the duplicate areas were deleted. Several times were also adjusted by the committee.
The final divisional alignment will take place after the coop teams are finalized.
S-Brookfield M-Weston** (moved up) L-New Canaan LL-Greenwich (also team of the yr)
COTY – Tom Grace – Weston MVP – Kieran Smith - Ridgefield
There were 47 participating teams at the State Open.
5 Records were broken at the State Open
We had an excellent turnout at the All-State banquet even though we had a 3-day turn-around time
Suzanne Hoyt – Glastonbury High School Boys’ Swimming and Diving
All-State Boys’ Swimming
- 1. 4 Divisions: “S”, “M”, “L”, “LL”
- 2. In each Division the top three finishes in each individual event and the top two finishes in each relay at the Divisional Finals will make All-State.
CRITERIA FOR ALL CHSCA ACADEMIC ALL STATE NOMINATION
- There is a misconception as to who may be selected as an Academic All-State. The operative word here is All-State.
- MUST be a senior in good standing within their school, exhibit good character and citizenship, completed an entire season as a team member of the sport their senior year that they have been nominated for, and have had received a varsity letter within that sport.
- A senior can only qualify for consideration for CHSCA Academic All-State by making the First (1st) CHSCA All-State team for that sport.
- A senior after meeting number 1 and 3 MUST also score at least:
- 1200 on SAT (800 Math/ 800 = Critical Reading/Writing)
- At least 26 on ACT
**Criteria will change to be to be updated to be consistent with changes to SAT/ACT scores***
- Nomination MUST be signed by BOTH Coach and Guidance Counselor with their respective information
- The Coach nominating the student athlete player must be a member of the CHSCA.
- MUST BE POSTMARKED BY: ___________________________________
The CHSCA is sorry this was not clarified and posted earlier but this is to be adhered to by all sports with the exception of Field Hockey and Girls Lacrosse who have been grandfathered.
ACADEMIC ALL STATE NOMINATION FORM
SPORT NOMINATED FOR: ________________________________________
PLAYER’S NAME: (PRINT) ________________________________________
SCHOOL: _____________________ TOWN: ______________________
PLAYER’S HOME PHONE: (_____) ______________
NOMINATION FORM MUST BE SIGNED AND INFORMATION NEEDED
BY BOTH COACH AND GUDIANCE COUNSELOR:
COACH: (PRINT) ___________________________________________________
COACH’S PHONE CONTACT: (____) __________________
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR: (PRINT) ______________________________________
COUNSELOR’S PHONE CONTACT: (_____) ______________
NOMINEES RANNK IN CLASS: ________________ OF __________
SAT: MATH:__________; CRITICAL READING:__________; WRITING:____________
and/or ACT: ______________